What is Selenium
Selenium is a free (open source) automated testing suite for web applications across different browsers and platforms. Selenium focuses on automating web-based applications.
Selenium is a suite of software’s, catering to different testing needs of an organization. It has four components.
- Selenium Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- Selenium Remote Control (RC)
- Selenium Grid
Selenium Test Automation Success
The driving force that makes selenium a de facto standard for automating web-based applications.
- The tests can be coded in number of programming languages (Java, .Net, PHP, Python, Perl, Ruby)
- Run directly in different web browsers (Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, Google Chrome, GhostDriver, Opera)
- Work across operating systems (Unix, Linux, Windows, Macintosh)
- Selenium provides choices for integrating with reporting tools, build systems or any other aspect of their testing framework.
- Selenium integrates well with popular tools such as Hudson, SauceLabs, Selenium-Grid, QMetry and others.
- Selenium WebDriver provides features and simplicity of using APIs
- Selenium Grid provides ability to run multiple test cases on on different machine in parallel on different machines.
- Selenium IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is the simplest tool in the Selenium Suite. It is a Firefox add-on that creates tests very quickly through its record-and-playback functionality.
- Selenium RC for testing an application on a remote machine.
Why Learn Selenium
If you are a web application tester and are still working on manual testing, Selenium is a great value addition. It will change your career dramatically, especially if you are looking to enhance your career options in the testing industry.
With the knowledge of Selenium automation suite (Selenium Webdriver, Selenium RC, Selenium IDE, Selenium Grid) you will be able to accomplish more in less time, improve productivity and offer better service to your client. Consider the rate at which market is embracing Selenium for web application automation, it is the best value addition to your career profile. A quick search on portal like naukri.com show some promising and consolidating figures.
Selenium has large community of users. There are a log of dedicate blogs, forums, tutorials to learn Selenium. There are also large number of training institutes offering Selenium automation courses. A lot of these institutes are run by dedicated IT professionals.
Anyone looking for a Selenium Tutorial can easily find it online. There is plenty of online support, there are many tutorials, and there is plenty of literature you can benefit from. Selenium being open source is a major advantage because any contributor from any part of the world can improve it.
More and more companies are looking for skilled Selenium resources and there are plenty of opportunities for someone good at this open source tool.
We hope this blog post helped you gain a basic understanding of Selenium and why you should try a Selenium Tutorial. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or comments, we will love to hear what you have to say.